Aveda Is Going To Be Maaaaaaaadddd….

Raise your hand if you’ve heard of Aveda’s Rosemary Mint Shampoo and Conditioner.  Just as I thought, pretty much all of you.  So imagine my surprise when I saw this little number whilst perusing the hair product aisle at my local Walmart.

Yep – a new Suave knock-off.  Why spend $15.99 on a bottle (albeit, a large bottle) of shampoo, when you can pay less than $2 for what is essentially the same thing?  Or is it?  I’m pretty sure the Aveda brand is better – organic, formulated from all natural ingredients, and makes puppies poop rainbows.  Or something.

Here’s why I bought the Suave instead – I’m cheap.  And I don’t like to spend a ton of money on something I’m just going to rinse off the top of my head and let flow down the drain, into the sewer, scenting the rats and cockroaches all rosemary-minty.  I’d rather save the big bucks for shoes… and conditioner.

Furthermore, Aveda products smell so damn STRONG.  Everything is scented to the max, and it tends to irritate my skin.  Give me oodles of bad-for-me chemicals, and my body is a happy camper, apparently.  With any luck, all those preservatives might help me live longer.

That being said, I will spend a few more bucks on conditioner – aka the stuff that sits on my hair/skin/body longer.  And I’m really willing to shell out for a product which promises to make me blonder:

Frieda’s campaign is right.  Inside every blonde, like this one, there IS a blonder blonde wanting to get out.  Yes, it’s true, I AM THAT SHALLOW.  You knew that though, right?

Now for the gist of this post – the product reviews.  I like the Suave shampoo.  It gets all the sticky, nasty product out of my hair, and makes my scalp feel tingly and clean.  I try not to use it every day, as I fear it might be drying.  Other than that, two thumbs up.  Oh, and as for the scent?  MUCH lighter than the Aveda brand.

If I like the Suave, I LOVE the John Frieda conditioner.  Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner is wonderful.  It smells good, it conditions like crazy, but rinses out completely (no annoying residue), and brightens my hair without turning it brassy.  Two thumbs up for this $8 bottle of awesome.  You can find it at Walgreens… and possibly Target.  I wouldn’t know about that, though.  Sigh.

Question of the evening – what knock-off do you love?

This entry was posted in Hair Care Products. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

29 Comments

1. Posted March 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this! I have not seen the “blondifying” conditioner before but I will be looking for it! I have been taking a break from highlighting my hair to try to get it healthier, but I miss my blonde- maybe this will tide me over for a little longer:)

2. Posted March 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

I have to buy salon brands because my post-menopause hair no longer cares for cheap store brands. It dries out, or alternatively becomes greasy, and dries out my scalp, all at the same time! Hooray for the “change of life!”

I do support YOU buying inexpensive hair care products, though. Wish I could.

As for Walmart, don’t they have some fun shoes? That are less expensive than Target?

3. Tashi
    Posted March 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

(raising my hand) Yup, I’ve heard of Aveda’s Rosemary Mint shampoo, but have never used it. They keep the same fragranced hand soap in the restroom of the salon where I go. I don’t care for the scent tons, but it’s ok. I wish I had as equally of a good experience with the Suave shampoo. I tried it once a few months ago, and it was so incredibly fragrant, I was worried all day that everyone could smell my hair, because *I* sure could. (Threw out the two new bottles I bought.) Granted, it very well may have been the partcular scent I chose (which I can’t recall, unfortunately). So perhaps not all of the Suave shampoos would be as bad to me. I *do* use their body wash (sweet pea and violet, lavender, and vanilla scents — not all at the same time, natch). I find it a nice thick consistency, and I never have to use much at all. Thus, the bottle lasts a good while. A great investment for around $2. I love the John Frieda products! Hairspray, color shampoos, spray gel, clear glaze, etc. Great stuff for very reasonable prices.

4. Posted March 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

Awesome! So excited to look for the Suave shampoo! I loved the Aveda Rosemary mint, but my hair does not. I love the smell of fresh mint. Thanks for the tip!

5. Posted March 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM | Permalink

I spend most of my children’s college funds on my haircare (those who know me, understand). I’ve been using the Aveda Dry Remedy for awhile now, ‘cuz it works really well for my uber dry hair. BUT, one day I was out of the expensive stuff and needed to grab something to keep my head clean for a few days before my salon visit, so whilst at Target, I perused the haircare products (like you do) and found to my utter delight Aveeno has a new nourishing shampoo and conditioner. Bought it. Tried it. Love it more than Aveda! Woot! PS: please don’t tell my Aveda Master Stylist.

6. areiss
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

Personally, I feel strongly that these products cannot compare to the end result received by using Aveda. Prove that by testing and measuring….see how your hair feels after a week of your OTC product compared to Aveda. Ask for input from your viewers after they do the same….it would be interesting to hear if cheap is as savvy as you claim.

As for your commentary regarding your money rinsing down the drain, I believe you have missed the point….it matters what you are rinsing down your drain…duh!, into the sewers and whatever other examples you provided. It’s a bigger picture than your article states….give it some thought, I know I have!
    Thanks for allowing me to comment….
    areiss
    aveda user for 21 years and counting!!!

7. Jean
    Posted September 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM | Permalink

Aveda OWNS Suave, that’s how they can say it on the bottle. Same product. Try the Almond and Shea Butter – the conditioner is the bomb.

8. Heather
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM | Permalink

Sorry Jean, but you are WRONG! Aveda does not own Suave. Suave is a part of the Unilever brand of products. Aveda, which started out as independent, has been a part of the Estee Lauder company for about the past 10 years. No connection. Nice try though.

9. Ashley
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

I have to totally disagree with the writer. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad she speaks that she’s cheap and what not but Aveda compared to Suave? First off, Estee Lauder does own Aveda however, Aveda still has their separate corporate office. Also, Estee Lauder gives Aveda the funds so they can be even more environmentally conscience company. Now, if you don’t care about the earth and what not, at least you know that Aveda is all pure plant and flower essences. Why do I speak so highly of it? Well, when I use to use Suave, herbal essences, all those hair care you get at the drug store literally damaged my hair. I turned to use Damage Remedy from Aveda and my hair is healthier than ever! I’m solo happy how my hair is today!

10. Steffan
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM | Permalink

The suave bottle also has a PET of 29 witch it the highest I have ever seen (higher the pet the longer it tajes to decompose) most aveda bottles have a PET of 2

11. Melissa Skinner
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

I wish someone would come up with a basil scented shampoo :)

12. Rosemary
    Posted June 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM | Permalink

No way!!! Suave is AWFUL and should NEVER be compared to Avedas Rosemary Mint. It’s awful. They should be ashamed. Suave left my hair feeling like straw. I will never buy it again.

13. nicole
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

Aveda DOES NOT own Sauve. (http://www.elcompanies.com/our_brands/our_brands.php) . If you want chemicals know to cause cancer in lab rats on your hair, buy Sauve. If not, buy Aveda, because it’s paraben free! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben) Parabens are low cost that’s why they are in lower quality products.

14. Nevaeh
    Posted April 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM | Permalink

I have been a loyal Aveda user for almost 17yrs. However, I did see the Sauve and thought I would give it a try. I actually was looking for the Sauve with Keratin that they are promoting on the new show called Fashion Star, that they are using on their models. But I saw this Sauve that was being compared to Aveda. So I have been using it for almost two weeks and in shock how shiny and healthy my hair feels. I love the Aveda scent which Sauve is lacking, but my hair feels soft and I can honestly say I will continue to use it ;)

15. Amy
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM | Permalink

Oh my… I was sooo happy to see at the end of these comments people really knew what they were talking about… First of all AVEDA is derived from plant and flower from tribal countries because aveda has a mission and it is to help the world….. You really think Horst ( who founded aveda) would have a shampoo compared to suave??? I use aveda and also have other brands because I’m human and like smells of some of the synthetic products out there., and go ahead try the keratin treatment and then you post on their website how they ruined your hair do to having ammonium thioglyclate in their product ( found in relaxers) .. Do the research parabens are harmful and cancerous , more upsetting because I have children and used Johnson and Johnson and they are the biggest toxic company of them all…all I’m saying is please don’t compare aveda to garbage :)

16. Patricia Antoni
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

Wow how funny I just found this at Target. I also love the smell of Aveda so I am glad I bought the small size Suave brand. I am looking though to save and thought I would try Pantene Plant based. I am using the shampoo and conditioner in one to try out. So far I like it. I miss the Aveda smell though. The bottle is #2 as well and no Parabins.

17. Patricia
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

I love all the Aveeno skin products for my face. My skin looks great and I look 10 years younger than my age. The key is moisturize and use sunscreen. I also do hot yoga which is great for the skin. Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen for the face that is cheap?

18. Posted July 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

Read up on Sodium Laurel Sulfate which is what makes Suave and all other non-Aveda brands so cheap. It destroys your hair with chemicals, causes hair loss and split ends.

19. Leeza
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

Aveda costs more, but I’d rather give my money to an ethical company as such who puts quality before quantity. Those mega corporations like Unilever make cheap products out of cheap chemicals just so they can make more money. Most importantly for me, however, is Aveda doesn’t test on animals. Unilever/ Suave and all of the other huge corporations do.

20. Jennifer
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

Aveda does not own the “rosemary mint” name. The rosemary mint combo has been around for a long time. Anyone whos ever been to a health food store or knows anything about essential oils is familar with rosemary mint. Also, its stupid to scrimp on shampoo and spend more on conditioner, when the quality of the shampoo is far more important than the conditioner.

21. Jennifer
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM | Permalink

Aveda does not OWN Suave!!!!! Suave is owned by Unilever. Aveda is owned by Estee Lauder.

22. Lisa from glenside
    Posted February 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM | Permalink

Although I like suave rosemary mint there is a difference between suave and aveda.. I found after using suave my hair dried out badly.. I also work at a salonthats sells aveda and to be honest the real is the way to go BUT the cheap is fine sometimes

23. Stephanie
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM | Permalink

I’ve used the Suave brand for awhile, and it seems to run out MUCH faster than when I used Aveda’s “Rosemary Mint”. I’ve even shared the Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo with both my mother and sister, and since I’ve moved, I decided to try the Suave version. The Aveda bottles lasted about a month to a 1.5 months between four people in a household (so about 112-130 washes). The Aveda brand seems to lather up better. I use a bottle of the RM Suave brand within a month because I feel like a dime sized amount is barely enough for my hair. I’d rather spend the extra bucks on quality, because in the long run I ended up saving money. Plus the Suave brand is filled with tons of chemicals that strip the nutrients from my hair.

24. Andrea
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 6:19 AM | Permalink

U should not use rosemary mint in the first place, it’s for men and women with short hair for sure not blondes. Also good for you for not caring what goes down the sewer. Keeping the world a clean place for our future generation! Keep being a cheap chick at any cost to the environment and your health.

Educate yourself.

25. Monica
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

just a side note….don’t get confused with Aveda being organic. They may use some organic ingredients, but most of their products are not. I’ve worked for various skin care companies (including this one) and they may seem “green” on the outside, but are still unnecessarily wasteful and less than willing to give you straight facts on product ingredients. Also, the Aveda – Rosemary Mint shampoo will/can strip hair too. Oily, non colored hair need not worry…it’ll work great for you! Research the products you use!

26. Trisha
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

OMG!!! I would NEVER in a million years compare Suave to Aveda! Believe me, I am as cheap/frugal as they come. In the past I was one of those people who said “I will NEVER spend tons of money on hair products”. Huge Mistake. Quality products are SO important for your hair health. For the past 2 years, nothing but salon-quality products (mostly Aveda) has touched my hair. I use everything from shampoo, conditioner, treatments, protectants, and hairspray. My hair is now incredibly healthy, shiny, and has no split ends. Every time I go in for a hair cut they compliment me on how healthy it is. Suave makes your hair feel like straw compared to quality products. HORRIBLE COMPARISON. The smell may be similar but they are definitely not comparable.

27. nadiap
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

My hair was looking pretty dried out due to highlighting. I have used Aveda products for years. I need something different!! I’m glad I took the chance on Shielo products after reading the reviews! I also purchased the Shielo Restoration Oil, and it too, is fantastic. And, the big bonus… it costs less than Aveda & they have certified organic ingredients.

28. Rob
    Posted March 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM | Permalink

Now, just a side note from me. To all of you who believe that when you wash and rinse your hair it’s going down the sewer and affecting the environment, you seriously have no idea on the subject. Sewers take rain runoff from streets, and drain directly into streams. Drains from your house go directly to a waist water facility, along with your poop, pee, food bacteria, and many other chemicals much harsher than suave shampoo, where they are mixed with some of the strongest chemicals on earth, to give you nice nuetralized material. Your car, on the other hand, dumps all kinds of chemicals straight on the road from your tires, from your exhaust, from your engine, and from your paint. Don’t forget what happens when it rains. Have you stopped driving yet?

29. aimee
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM | Permalink

Well, this is an interesting site. I’m here because I can’t sleep. But the controversy over shampoo is funny. I love suave. I have the ocean breeze and clarifying versions. I don’t have a salon shampoo because none has ever impressed me so much that I would spend the money. Salon people are always looking for converts but basic soap like suave is just that: basically soap. Actually, a stylist told me in confidence that if I really wanted to use a store brand, suave naturals were the best options because they’re just detergent. I use their conditioners too. I don’t mind people loving salon poos, I just love my suave. It cleans, which is all I want.